Apple Polenta Cakes

This weekend I did a little cooking--I made duck confit legs (again!) and experimented with trying to recreate a desert that I had recently.  I am blessed with a very discerning sense of taste in that if I try something even just one time I can recreate it almost exactly, with few exceptions.

I hesitate to tell you where and when I had this 'desert'--in fact the way it was served to me I wasn't exactly sure if it was a side dish or desert, but what mattered was that it was so, so yummy and I wanted to have it again....so having a vague idea of how to make it, and based on the idea that it was a traditional French creation, maybe southern France-ish....and it had to be really simple, I nonetheless scoured the internet looking for a recipe just to confirm my hunch.  But alas either I had no idea how to call it or it was not at all French or common--I never did find a recipe.  So I just went on instinct and voila!  It turned out exactly how I remembered it--just as simple, sweet and comforting!  I jazzed up the idea by making it in pretty molds and garnished it with Anise and confiture de pommes....but pretty much--this is it!

Apple Polenta Cakes


  • 1 cup Polenta (instant/5 minute polenta is the easiest to use)
  • 4 cups apple juice
  • 1/4 cup honey or 1/4 cup sugar (optional)
  • 4 tsp. cinnamon
  • canola oil for forms

In a large sauce pan bring apple juice, honey/sugar to a low boil.  Slowly add polenta while stirring.  Reduce heat and as it thickens stir in cinnamon and cook for an additional 5 minutes just below boiling. Brush pan or forms with oil and pour in thickened polenta.  Let cool about 10 minutes and then refridgerate until serving. Polenta will easily come out of forms or can be sliced in any shape and served cold topped with fresh fruit or warm with maple syrup or honey.

So simple it's almost embarrassing.  My boys love it and I have to admit I made a large quantity so I served it for breakfast this past weekend with some warm maple syrup pooled around it on a plate. 

Have fun with it!  ......if you really bug me I might even share with you where I had it--you wouldn't believe it--and maybe better kept a petit secret!

No comments:

Post a Comment