Chai Tea Breakfast Cake

I love Sundays--really, who doesn't?  If I am not running off to a flea market or brocante, I can sneak back into bed with my cup of coffee and watch a few cooking and travel shows while I catch up on Facebook and emails.  I found two shows on 'Direct 8'--the first is 'A Vos Regions' which is followed by 'A Vos Recettes'..... they are shows about different areas of France, culture and food and I do my best to follow along--my food vocabulary in French is extensive--I wish I could say the same for my 'grammar et conjugation '   Je sais----someday.......  (le sigh.)

This morning I was on 'Petite Fille' duty, so while she watched 'Elmo' on video and sat in her high chair having toast and bananas, I made a cake that I have been thinking of for some time--a breakfast cake, not too sweet with the subtle 'spice' flavoring of Chai-tea and spiked with dried cherries.

Here it is:

1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 cup rice flour (whole 'grain' is best....you can sub regular wheat-flour here too.)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup organic apple sauce
2 eggs
1 tbs light oil
1 cup strongly brewed Chai-tea
3/4 cup dried cherries

Mix all of the dry ingredients.  Mix the apple sauce, eggs. and oil and add to dry ingredients, mix in dried cherries.  As a last step, add the tea--you can use more or less, but you want the batter to be thick and spreadable--not too thin and depending on the flour(s) you use--this might vary.

Spread batter into silicon cake form and bake at 350F or around 185C for 30 minutes or until firm and golden.

For an added hit of sweetness, I make an orange spice glaze or drizzle with powdered sugar, a few drops of orange juice and zest and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Yum.  It is really good and smells heavenly while it cooks.  Enjoy!....and Bonne Dimanche!

1 comment:

  1. I adore each and everyone of your posts. Yum

    Broccante sounds fun. I wish I could have a year in France. It is my dream.

    Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete