I love pesto, but there are two things that have gotten in my way to enjoy it lately.....it's winter, so I don't know where you are, but around here fresh basil is non-existent and the second 'problem' is that I am currently not eating dairy--hence no cheese (sigh...) and traditional pesto requires a generous addition of Parmesan or Asiago. Limits fuel my creativity--and cravings even more so. So recently I created my own version of pesto--that is nutty, 'cheesy', sharp and bien sur--green!
When summer returns, the same recipe can be adapted-back using basil, and of course you can use Parm or any cheese you like--but try this first without. It's a perfect recipe to set aside in your recipe box for the next time you are entertaining your 'Vegan' friends!
- 4 large handfuls of Arugula or Rocket
- 5-6 large broccoli flowerettes, steamed to be very tender
- 1 cup ground blanched almonds or almond-meal
- 1 whole head of roasted garlic (I roast about 6 entire heads of garlic at time and store in the fridge. I prefer using roasted garlic for this recipe, but you can use about 3 cloves of fresh instead--expect that it will be more 'sharp' and 'garlicky'.)
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
When I made it this week, I tossed it with grilled shrimp on egg-linguini. We have 'Pasta Night' every Thursday, even here in France--where family-style pasta dinners are less common.
It also works perfectly added to risotto, or spread on a baguette and put under the broiler for a minute. I love having a little left-over in the fridge to throw together a last minute appetizer, too! In a tightly lidded jar, it will last about one week....except at our house.
Enjoy mes amis! Bon weekend!